Monday, May 11, 2015

GLOW Update!

Sanibonani!

Its been a while since my last post, because I'm finally to the point in my service where I can say things are busy! Recent developments include that my grant was approved for improvements and furniture for the library at my high school, and the books are arriving this week! I'll be spending the next few months purchasing furniture, helping to paint, inventorying, labeling, and preparing the space for a re-opening.

The past several weeks have been spent at Peace Corps meetings, volunteer social events, and at two separate Girls Leading Our World camps! GLOW Camp one hosted over 70 girls ages 13-19 for five days of fun, games, sexual reproductive health education, leadership and career training, dancing, camp fires, a talent show, community service, and amazing memories. My role was mainly to take in as much as I could about the camp experience, in an effort to understand how to make it work next year, as well as to take notes for potential improvements. I got to have some fun assisting with sessions like condom demonstrations, too!



Camp two was smaller, as it was the first time GLOW Swaziland has offered a younger girls' camp. We had over 25 girls ages 9-12 come for four days immediately following camp one, and they engaged in sessions directed at a younger audience, but dealing with many of the same topics. Working with this smaller group of girls was so much fun! We are considering how to structure our camps next year in an effort to continuing growing the GLOW program but also maintain the atmosphere the smaller camp offered.


Girls playing the Spider Web game, trying to get their whole team to the other side


Celebration after winning!

I don't have a lot more to share, but I am looking forward to going back to my site today and staying there for the next couple of weeks. I'm exhausted from all the traveling and running around I've been doing lately, and I'm missing my host family. I plan to keep busy in my community, working on this library overhaul until Bush Fire music festival at the end of May!


Ally, Dani, and me; the GLOW Team for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment