Thursday, March 26, 2015

My Heart is in Rwanda

Less than three weeks after returning to Swaziland from my amazing vacation in Rwanda, I’m already counting down the minutes until I’ll be back. Getting to return to the land of a thousand hills only reconfirmed what I already knew in my heart; that Rwanda is my favorite place in the world. In fact, it was my short few months studying abroad in Kenya and Rwanda that inspired me to apply for Peace Corps back in 2012. I returned home from that trip in March and was interviewing with Peace Corps by the end of April, and now here I am!

Our trip was sooo so much fun. I travelled with three other volunteers who are some of my closest friends here, and then when we arrived we met up with Steven and Rogers, my friends from my first trip to Rwanda. But I’m already getting ahead of myself. Our journey began on a Tuesday night with three of us sleeping on Jess’s double-size bed and Hannah sleeping on the floor, because Jess lives near Manzini which is where we had to catch public transport earlyyy Wednesday morning to make it to Johannesburg, South Africa, for our flight on Thursday. We took a minibus across the border, and everything was going smoothly for the first 4 and a half hours of the journey. It looked like we would make it into Joburg by around 1pm, and have some time to do some shopping (we are mall-deprived) and eating (also McDonald’s-deprived) before getting picked up and taken to our hostel. However, about 30 minutes outside the city, our bus just stopped working. We sat on the side of the freeway in the heat of midday for about two hours waiting for another bus to come retrieve all of us.



 
Photoshoot during the breakdown
 

When we finally arrived in Joburg, our friendly bus driver, who knew very well what mall we had asked to be dropped at, and had reconfirmed this several times, dropped us at the wrong mall. Our cell phones weren’t working since we had left Swaziland, we were hungry, tired, and lost in a city we had heard nothing but bad things about. Luckily someone helped us to find a private taxi that took us to the correct mall. There, we enjoyed McDonald’s for the first time in nine months! And let me tell you, it was incredible. We got picked up and take to our hostel near the airport, and got some rest before our travels the next day.

Our flight to Rwanda left at 8am Thursday, and we arrived there around noon. Stepping off the plan onto the tarmac, I got goose bumps. I have had this conversation with several people who have been to Rwanda, and most say the same thing-there is just something about the place. You fall in love with it. We grabbed REAL iced coffee, which is virtually impossible to come by in Swaziland, and waiting for Steven and Rogers to come pick us up. Seeing these boys again was honestly a dream come true. When I left Africa after my study abroad trip, I was upset for weeks. I made all these friendships and formed such strong bonds with people, and then had to leave not knowing if I would ever see them again. Being back on Rwanda soil giving hugs to two of my best friends, who have managed to stay in touch with me over the past two years despite all three of us graduating from university, moving around, having busy lives and occasionally poor access to communication, was such an amazing feeling. I know that very few people they met while working with the cultural exchange program will ever make it back to see them again, and I was so, so happy to be able to keep my promise.

Day one was spent wandering around Kigali, Rwanda’s capital city. We ate at a burrito bar very similar to Chipotle, which was absolute heaven. Nothing resembling Mexican food is available to us in Swaziland… which may be why we returned to eat at this same burrito bar every single day we were in Kigali. We saw a little bit of the city that night, and went to bed early to prepare for day two!
 
Just landed! So happy!

 
Rogers, Me, and Steven

We were up and on the road by 5am on Friday, in a giant safari vehicle heading for Akagera National Park. The park is about 3 hours east of Kigali, and the animals are most active in the morning. We saw so many things! For Jess, Dani, and I, it was our first safari. We were out driving around the park for about 5 hours, seeing baboons, water buffalo, warthogs, antelope, monkeys, zebras, springboks, one very distant elephant, tonssss of hippos, and the highlight for me-giraffes. We stopped for lunch by a small lake full of hippos, and I took the opportunity to get some good photos. As I approached what I thought were two hippos underwater, more and more of their friends kept popping up to stare at me! For me, the best part was getting out of the car to see the giraffes. I had never seen my favorite animal in the wild before, so I was really excited. When we made it back to Kigali we had dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant (yum!) and then got ready to go out to the Kigali nightclubs! We met up with some Rwanda Peace Corps Volunteers for drinks and then went to a few different clubs around the city. It was nice to have several fun options, since there is only one place for nightlife in Swaziland and it is always hit-or-miss.





 

On Saturday we travelled by public bus to Gisenyi, a resort town on Lake Kivu, on the west side of the country. The scenery was absolutely breathtaking. One of my favorite things about Rwanda is how incredibly green it is. It is one of the most densely populated countries in the world, so land is precious, and Rwandan farmers do not waste it. There are very few flat areas, so those are mainly reserved for housing, but on the steepest of hills, crops are planted in neat rows. It really is amazing to see. It was a long trip, and we didn’t get the earliest start, so we went straight to the public market to but ingredients for dinner when we got there. Rogers and Steven planned to cook a Rwandan meal for us (another unheard of practice in Swaziland-men cooking for women)! We bought everything we needed at the market and went up to the house we rented to prepare the meal. There was a crazy lightning storm that night, and the power kept going out. The boys were cooking by candlelight for us for THREE HOURS! We had a feast! Friend plantains, potato chips, cooked vegetables, peanut sauce, cabbage- it was all amazing. Then it was time to party again! We all went to a fun bar down by the lake in Gisenyi.
 
Long bus ride selfie!
 

The view of Lake Kivu from our house
 
 
Peeling plantains

On Sunday we travelled back to Kigali, and we were exhausted. After hitting the burrito bar for lunch we all went to the hostel to rest. That evening for dinner, we decided to treat the boys to a meal at Hotel de Mille Collines, better known as Hotel Rwanda. Since Rwanda’s recovery from the genocide in the early 90’s, the hotel has reopened and is a very nice place. As with everywhere in Rwanda, it is really difficult to imagine the events that took place in the very space you are standing, not very long ago, while sitting by the pool sipping on a cocktail at the hotel.
 
 

On Monday, we visited the Kigali Genocide Memorial Museum, which tells the story of Rwanda from before colonization through the present day. Even though I had visited the museum on my previous trip, it was still overwhelmingly emotional and difficult to witness. I am really lucky to have friends who are Rwandan, and who understand that as Americans, we are really poorly educated on what happens elsewhere in the world. It is an incredibly personal, difficult topic for the boys to discuss, but they answered our questions and shared what they were able to. After a rough morning, we went to do some shopping at the craft market. I bought entirely too many beautiful things. Then it was time to go.

I am completely in love with Rwanda and I know I am not finished with it yet. While things are still really uncertain, I am hoping to be able to spend a significant amount of time there (potentially working/living) when I am finished with Peace Corps. Even with this plan in the back of my mind, saying goodbye wasn’t easy and I’ve been having a hard time adjusting back to life in Swaziland since.

The good news is, though, that things have been really busy and the time is going by pretty quickly. I’m still working on a grant to get money for furniture for my school’s library, and the books will come in May. As a co-director for Swaziland’s GLOW program, I am busy meeting with other volunteers are preparing for two weeks of GLOW camp at the end of April! It’s going to be completely exhausting but SO much fun to see camp come together this year, and then begin planning for next year!

Until next time,

Ndagukunda cyane!

(“I love you” in Kinyarwanda)
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment