Monday, June 9, 2014

Contact Info

It still hasn't completely sunk in that I'm moving to Swaziland in 17 days! I talk about it a lot, since people are always asking questions, but I don't think it will seem REAL until I'm on that 15 hour flight. The past few weeks have been really busy, spending time with friends and family as much as possible and trying to fit in eating all my favorite foods and just enjoying American life. I have a lot of things to do before departing for staging in Philadelphia on June 23rd, and also have my last three weekends at home planned to be full of adventures.

I thought I should make a post with all the useful information about how to contact me once I leave!

I will have an iPhone 3GS in Swaziland, and the easiest way to get in touch with me will (almost surely) be through Facebook messenger or WhatsApp. Either messaging app is cheaper than texting/calling for me, and pretty much everyone here at home with a computer or smartphone has access to them for free.

I have heard that it is much cheaper for someone from home to call me than for me to call home. Once I get a Swazi phone number and information on the best calling apps/cheapest rates I'll get that info to anyone who is interested.
Sidenote: Swaziland is 9 hours ahead of/later than Pacific time, which is something to keep in mind!

That being said, my Swazi phone won't be functioning for the first month I'm gone. No news is good news in this situation! My mom will receive an email from PC when I arrive safely in country, and then no one may hear from me for four weeks. I've never been out of contact with friends and family for that long, like, ever... but it is purposeful on the part of PC, in that it really encourages trainees to be "present" and focus on their training, acclimating to a new culture,  and building relationships.

Mail! I can receive mail the whole time I'm in Swaziland. During training (June 26-August 28) my mailing address will be:

Talor Hopkins, PCV
U.S. Peace Corps
P.O. Box 2797
Mbabane, H100
Swaziland
AFRICA

Make sure the write "AFRICA" like that, since apparently Swaziland and Switzerland have been mixed up more than once by the postal service!

I've been told that U.S postal service flat-rate international boxes are the cheapest method for shipping care packages. It takes an average of 5 weeks for a package to get to Swaziland, and paying for expedited shipping doesn't really make it any faster. While most volunteers say that their packages arrive in tact, theft or damage is always a possibility. It has been recommended that people write religious symbols or messages (like a cross or "Jesus Saves") on the boxes they send in order to discourage theft. I'll have a better idea of what good care package items would be once I get there, but I know I'll always appreciate a good book and a new nail polish color!

Once I have more information (Late July when I'm back in touch with America) I'll give any more information I have! Now, on to soak up these last two weeks at home with the people I love!






No comments:

Post a Comment