Friday, May 16, 2014

Packing List

I'm a chronic over-packer (thanks mom!) and slightly obsessive over lists and organization (thanks dad!) so this task has been my first serious Peace Corps challenge. I've been accumulating things to take with me to Swaziland since I accepted my invitation in December, and although I don't leave for two months, I only have a handful of items left to pick up. Most of what I've purchased for the trip is more modest clothing (I'll be wearing knee-length or longer skirts and dresses almost every day) and some "camping" gear like a solar shower, headlamp, solar charger for my USB devices, and a backpacking bag. Realizing I have all this stuff, I figured it might be a good idea to compare the packing list PC sent me and some other real-life volunteer packing lists I've found online to my stash of things I plan on bringing. I drug everything out of the bags in my closet and laid it all out, and also attempted to stuff it all in the suitcases I plan on bringing. Here is the result:



I've come to the conclusion that I need to buy more Space Saver bags and pretty much NOTHING else (it's not my fault there's so many cute maxi skirts in stores right now!). I've included my packing list below as a resource for future PCVs, and I'll update it if/when it changes when I actually pack at the end of June. Wish me luck on all this stuff weighing less than 100lbs!

Large Rolling Suitcase
TSA-approved luggage lock!
6 Space Saver bags (fill them up, zip shut, roll all the air out-no vacuum needed!)


Everyday t-shirts (7)
Blouses (7)
Tank Tops (5)
Skirts (7)
Dresses (2)
Below-the-knee cargo/work shorts-also good for travel (3)
Jeans (2)
Sweatshirts (1 crew, 1 hoodie)
Sleep t-shirts (3)
Sleep pants (2)
Yoga pants (2)
Leggings (2)
Work out clothes (3 pairs basketball shorts, 3 sweat-wicking athletic tops)
Socks (10 pairs)
Bras (4 regular, 6 sport)
Underwear (15)
Spandex shorts for under skirts (2)
Slip (1)

Clothes for travel/ Going out/Comforts from home (1 skirt, 1 embellished tank top, 1 shirt with lace, Seahawks jersey, two pairs of above-the-knee shorts)
One piece swimsuit

Books (as many as I can fit, hopefully 5+) and extra journals 
Small blanket and pillow in Space Saver bag
Can opener
Vegetable peeler
Set of 3 knives with covers
Scissors
Pocket knife



Toiletries Bag:
Tweezers 
Mini bottles of shampoo and conditioner, and body wash
Body poof
Razor and refills
Deodorant
Mini bottles of ace wash, toner, and moisturizer
Small Tupperware container of coconut oil
Sunscreen
Lotion
Qtips and cotton balls
Nail polish, nail kit, and acetone
Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, mouthwash
Contacts and two pairs of glasses
Makeup (concealer, eyeliner, mascara)
Hair brush, hair ties, and bobby pins
Tampons
Mini purse-packs of Kleenex (SO handy for when there’s no TP available!)
Hand sanitizer



50 Liter Osprey Backpack
I'll be packing this backpack and then putting it inside a cheap duffel bag in order to prevent any disasters with the straps on conveyor belts at the airport. Also, the duffle bag has a zipper (the backpack doesn't on the main compartment) so I can use a luggage lock.


World map
Photos ( with twine and clothespins for hanging)
Office supplies (pens, pencils, highlighter, folders, tape, envelopes)
Crafty things (embroidery thread for friendship bracelets, crayons, markers)
Games (Phase 10, regular cards)

Duct tape
Strong twine
Candles and lighters
Alarm clock/radio
Headlamp
Solar shower
Towel
Nalgene bottle
Wine opener
Sleeping bag (I found a very affordable one on Amazon that is rated down to 45 degrees-which is all you really need most of the time in Swaziland- and packs up into the size of a football!)
Hydrocortisone, Ibuprofen, Band aids
Spices, Emergen-C, and Starbucks Via packets
Northface rain jacket
Accessories: 2 bandanas, 2 belts, A few pairs of earrings and a couple necklaces, a sports watch, two pairs of sunglasses
Sewing kit
Batteries



Carry On-Sized Duffel Bag
DSLR camera, extra memory cards
Portable speakers
2TB hard drive
Flash drives (2)
Wall chargers for all my devices
Solar charger
3 month supply of prescriptions
Changes of clothes for PC Staging and Travel days: This is important, so I never have to get into my big checked bags for any reason until I arrive in Swaziland! (These will be clothes already included in the list above, not extras!)

All my shoes: Chacos, Birkenstocks, Nikes, Dressy sandals, Dressy closed-toe flats, Shower flip flops

Non-melting candy/snacks for travel and training

Another Nalgene water bottle
Travel towel
Hand mirror


Messenger Bag/"Personal Item"
Passport, Yellow immunization card, Drivers license, Debit card
Tablet
Unlocked iPhone
Headphones
Point-and-shoot camera
Book, journal, pens
Over-the-counter sleeping pills and ibuprofen
Ear plugs
Carry-on toiletry bag (toothbrush, toothpaste, hair brush, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, kleenex, makeup remover wipes, moisturizer, hand sanitizer, etc)



1 comment: